What are The Differences Between Whole-Home Dehumidifier and a Portable Dehumidifier in Sunbury, Ohio?
When choosing a dehumidifier, there are many factors to consider. These factors can include price, size, power, features, and more. However, most people's primary question is: which dehumidifier is the best?
How Does a Whole Home Dehumidifier Work?
A whole-home dehumidifier uses multiple units to make sure the air in your home is always dry. You typically need at least a 2-liter dehumidifier in each room of your home. You can increase the number of dehumidifiers to increase the amount of moisture removal.
The units in a whole-home dehumidifier work together to remove moisture from the air. Therefore, you need a dehumidifier for every room in your house.
You can purchase a single-zone or multi-zone dehumidifier to meet the needs of your home. A single-zone device can reduce moisture in only one room at a time.
Multi-zone devices are the ideal choice for homes with multiple rooms, as they can reduce moisture in the air in each room individually.
How Does a Portable Dehumidifier Work?
Portable dehumidifiers are smaller than regular dehumidifiers and don't require a large space. Therefore, they are ideal for homes with limited space.
The drier the environment, the less moisture the air will contain. Therefore, a portable dehumidifier works best in areas with high humidity.
You can purchase a handheld or desktop model to suit your preferences. A handheld dehumidifier is ideal for rooms such as the kitchen, where you need to drizzle water into the air to avoid water damage.
Some portable dehumidifiers come with a built-in refrigerator to save on electricity bills. While this is an effective way to reduce moisture in the air, it does come at a cost.
Pros & Cons
Whole-Home Dehumidifiers Pros
• They are usually more powerful than portable dehumidifiers.
• Since they're installed in a home's basement or attic, whole-home dehumidifiers can be more cost-effective than portable models.
Portable Dehumidifiers Pros
• Portable dehumidifiers are lightweight and portable. This makes them easy to move from house to house or room.
• Portable dehumidifiers are affordable and can be used in homes with less than 200 square feet of floor space. You'll also find that many models are relatively inexpensive compared with whole-home dehumidifiers.
Portable Dehumidifier Cons & Limitations
• Portable dehumidifiers require a source of electricity for their operation. Most models require 6-12 volts for their operation, so you'll need to have an electrical outlet in the room where you'll be using the unit.
• Portable dehumidifiers may not be suitable for use in areas where humidity is abundant. If your home has a lot of humidity, you'll need to find a whole-home dehumidifier that can handle high humidity levels.
The whole-home dehumidifier is the best choice to control humidity in your home. It's the only choice that can handle extremely high humidity levels. But, if you don't have a lot of humidity in your home and want to use a portable dehumidifier, you should choose a unit that is easy to move from room to room. Wise Heating and Cooling has decades of experience with installation of whole-home dehumidifiers. We invite you to call us today to schedule your estimate!